The LandTrust for Central North Carolina would like to announce that they are hosting The Yadkin River Big Pig Contest on March 23rd and 24th. The Big Pig Contest is a hunting competition designed to incentivize the removal of invasive feral hogs. The two-day event encourages hunters from across the LandTrust region to harvest feral hogs by any legal method and to compete for The Big Pig top prize, $500. Hunters must register for the event online ($35) or at the LandTrust office, all registrations must be received by 5:00 p.m. on March 22, 2018.
The weigh in location will be at Stuffy’s Taxidermy and Game Processing located at 806 E. Main Street, in Locust, NC. “We have recently renovated our facility in order to process feral hogs” said Danny Dulin, owner of Stuffy’s Taxidermy and Game Processing. In addition, Big Pig participants will have the opportunity to donate their harvested game to be processed for use by local food banks.
Feral swine can significantly impact plant communities and wildlife habitat because they root through the ground’s surface in search of food. These non-native animals destroy agricultural crops and pose a substantial disease risk for both domestic swine and wildlife. Due to these factors, feral swine are considered to be an invasive species on North Carolina’s landscape. The LandTrust is committed to working to remove feral hogs from LandTrust owned properties through hunting and trapping methods.
Big Pig Contestants are to harvest feral pigs on property on which they have written permission from the landowner to hunt and to bring them to the weigh in location by 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 24th. No late entries will be accepted. Awards will be announced right after 8:00p.m. and participants do not have to be present to win.
All persons hunting feral swine at any time must have a valid hunting license or must be exempt from having a license pursuant to GS 113-276. In addition, Hunters will not be able to hunt for hogs on game lands due to North Carolina General Statue.
Yadkin River Big Pig Contest Rules
- Hunters must pay the $35 entry fee by 5 pm on March 22nd, 2018 to be eligible for the Yadkin River Big Pig Contest.
- The official hunting dates and times are during legal hunting hours on Friday, March 23rd through Saturday, March 24th. The weigh-in station will be at Stuffy’s Taxidermy and Game Processing, located at 806 E. Main St in Locust, NC.
- Hunters may hunt anywhere in our 10-county footprint where they have a legal right to hunt. These 10 counties are: Richmond, Anson, Stanly, Montgomery, Cabarrus, Rowan, Davie, Iredell, Randolph, and Davidson. No hunting is allowed on NC Wildlife Resources Commission game lands.
- Hunters must follow NC Wildlife Resources Commission rules and regulations.
- All legal hunting weapons are allowed, including, but not limited to, shotguns, rifles of legal caliber, bow and arrow, and compound bow and arrow. Snaring and bludgeoning are strictly prohibited.
- Hogs must be weighed at Stuffy’s Taxidermy on the day that it is taken. No carry-over game is allowed.
- The Injection of any substance used to add weight is strictly prohibited.
- Hogs must be field dressed – i.e., gutted with all internal organs removed and hooves and head still attached.
- Hunters will be required to sign a legally binding statement swearing under oath that he/she killed the hog that he/she is entering. Winners may be subject to additional verification at the discretion of LTCNC.
- All hunters under 16 years of age must have passed a Hunter Education Course prior to the event, or be under the supervision of a licensed hunter. A Hunter Education Course number is required.
- Anyone who attempts to alter the weight of their hog or otherwise violate any contest rules will be disqualified and banned from future LTCNC hunts. All hogs will be inspected upon weigh-in at Stuffy’s Taxidermy.
For more information about The Yadkin River Big Pig Contest please contact The LandTrust for Central North Carolina at 704-647-0302.
Additionally, The LandTrust for Central NC has a Sportsman Access Program whereby sportsman members of the LandTrust are entered into a draw system to hunt LandTrust fee-owned lands. The LandTrust currently owns 3000-acres in Davie, Rowan, and Montgomery counties which are enrolled in the program. To learn more about how to be entered into a draw to hunt hogs on these properties, visit our website at https://landtrustcnc.org/sportsman-membership/.
To learn more about this project or how you can support The LandTrust for Central North Carolina, contact Travis Morehead at 704-647-0302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGISTER FOR THE YADKIN BIG PIG CONTEST HERE!
Already a LandTrust Sportsman member or want to hunt the LandTrust Point Property during the Big Pig Contest? CLICK HERE!